Strategies for Tandem Nursing

We’ve been talking about why people might want to nurse through pregnancy and breastfeed their toddler and infant at the same time. There are numerous benefits to doing so, although the decision, is not necessarily an easy one to make. With that said, there are strategies you can implement to help make it a little easier. Setting boundaries All of my children have been over a year when I’ve gotten pregnant with the next one (or two!) With the exception of my oldest daughter (and I’ll deal with her situation in a minute), the older baby was eating solids but … Continue reading

Some Things to Think About While Breastfeeding and Pregnant

Yesterday, I wrote substantially on all the studies, surveys and research that talk about whether or not you are able to breastfeed while you’re pregnant. In fairness, I did also want to bring out some of the potentially negative aspects about breastfeeding while pregnant. Thinking About Your Needs No doubt about it, it takes a lot of energy to be pregnant and it takes a lot of energy to breastfeed. We have already talked about how if you eat when you’re hungry and drink when you’re thirsty there’s no reason to think that you wouldn’t be able to breastfeed while … Continue reading

Valorie’s Breastfeeding Index

Later today I will post a review of the baby blog of 2007 so why does breastfeeding get its own category? Well, in part as an answer to readers who want to read what I’ve written on breastfeeding. I’ve written so much on breastfeeding at this point that you all have asked for an index of sorts so it’s easier to find what you’re looking for. It’s also in part because I’ve become known as the breastfeeding lady. . .guru. . .whatever you want to call it. I’ve been at this breastfeeding business for a long time and many of … Continue reading

The Burning Question: Should Men Lactate?

If you’ve read my blog yesterday about the possibility of male lactation, I left readers hanging as to my personal view on the subject and rather just presented some information to ponder. The summary is yes, men can lactate. The burning question is: should this be the beginning of the revolution of mothering around the globe? Should men and women begin sharing equally the work of. . .breastfeeding? Isn’t the mantra of the women’s lib movement equality and is this not the ultimate in equality between men and women? My short answer to ‘the burning question’ is no, I don’t … Continue reading

Understanding the Language of Breastfeeding

I’ve said it more than once in this blog; the time to learn about breastfeeding is when you are still pregnant. Trying to read through the breastfeeding books when you are exhausted and dealing with a newborn will leave you in tears. Spend some time during your pregnancy taking breastfeeding class, reading books and visiting a La Leche League meeting. When you spend time preparing in advance, you will feel more confident. If an issue does arise, you will probably remember reading about it and will be more likely to feel confident handling the situation. This blog contains some of … Continue reading

The Let’s Talk Blog Top Ten – Reasons to Have a Small Sibling Age Gap

If you are thinking about conceiving a sibling for your child(ren), chances are you’ve wondered what the best time to do it is. It’s not a bad idea to take into consideration the age gap between siblings, for reasons such as rivalry and how the kids will relate to each other. I asked a group of wise mothers, all of whom have different ranges of years between siblings, what they thought were the best reasons for having a SMALL sibling gap. Here’s a breakdown of what they told me: TEN: Sibling Bonding If you have children who are close enough … Continue reading

5 Reasons Why You Might Breastfeed a Toddler and an Infant

I remember when I was still nursing my oldest daughter while I was very pregnant with my son, someone asked me what I was going to do after the baby was born and they both wanted to nurse. This simply was a non-issue for me. I would nurse both. I have now talked to many mothers who do the same thing (although it is not, in my opinion a very common practice). Here is a list of reasons why you might consider nursing through a pregnancy and then tandem nursing both the toddler and the baby. 1. Child led weaning. … Continue reading

Breastfeeding While Pregnant

Many women think that once you get pregnant you have to wean your first baby. While I’m sure there are many reasons why you might want to wean your first baby before a second comes along, you don’t have to. Are You Sure About This? Yes–I am sure that you can safely breastfeed while pregnant. I have done it. When my first born was about 13 months, she was no where near weaning due to a problem with her swallowing mechanism. She was exclusively breastfed for 12 months and then she just began solids at 13 months. And then I … Continue reading

Challenging the Status Quo on the Age of Weaning

Most people who are around Families.com for any length of time know where to go if they have a breastfeeding question. Especially one that’s out of the ordinary. It’s true, I’ve been nursing for what will be 9 years in March. . .although not the same child. I have nursed twins, I have tandem nursed singletons. I even had one child stop nursing only to start again four months later. . .which I allowed. I consider the minimum age for weaning two years, (following recommendations by WHO) and I’ve mentioned before that I actively encourage breastfeeding until this time. The … Continue reading

Don’t Offer Don’t Refuse

Long before bloggers took their little break and I went on vacation, I promised that I would start discussing weaning your baby. So far we’ve gone over abrupt weaning and some of the intense consequences there are for weaning your child abruptly. However, it must be said that generally, mothers wean abruptly because of uncontrollable circumstances like illness, or an emergency. While it’s not best for either baby or mother–it simply cannot be helped. For the purposes of this article, we are going to assume that the ‘baby’ in question is over a year old. Babies under a year who … Continue reading