Those Early Temper Tantrums

When someone laments about the “terrible twos” or those trying toddler years, they are usually referring to temper tantrums. Somewhere around a year old or 18 months, otherwise sweet and bubbly children can start to throw temper tantrums. Is there anything at all that can be done to minimize those early temper tantrums or at least learn to cope? Young children have tantrums for all sorts of reasons–they are frustrated at not being able to communicate and get what they want, they are tired, sick, trying to figuring out where they stand in the world and how they can make … Continue reading

Just Released: Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids by Dr. Laura Markham

November 28, 2012 was a great day for parents of toddlers. In fact, it was a great day for parents of all children. On November 28, 2012, Dr. Laura Markham’s first book, “Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids : How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting” was released. If you are already familiar with Dr. Laura Markham through her web site, Aha Parenting, then you know just how wonderful this news is. I can not remember how I first came across the Aha Parenting web site, but I can say that I visit it regularly, especially when I am … Continue reading

What to Consider When Getting a Cat

Between cats and dogs, the two most popular pets in America, cats are the more low maintenance. They can ostensibly be left on their own for longer periods of time, and they don’t require quite the same levels of attention as dogs. Because of that, however, sometimes people think they can just adopt a cat and let it be, when there are still several things to consider when determining if a cat is suitable for your lifestyle. First things first, you’ll have to consider your cat’s vaccinations. Depending on how young of a cat you adopt, and from where you … Continue reading

Preschoolers are People Too

Today I did job interviews. Luckily, I was the one interviewing instead of the one being interviewed. This was after an entire work day full of puppet shows for children. I came home rather cross-eyed with fatigue. The juxtaposition of interviewing young adults and creating plays for small children made me think. One of my colleagues is young enough to be someone I taught at the beginning of my career. Many of the people I interview these days are people whom I could easily have taught when they were very small children, and some of them I did teach. Sometimes … Continue reading

No, No, No!

Yes, this is about no. Four-year-olds love to push boundaries, and sometimes my boundaries can feel mighty pushed. I find four-year-old temper tantrums very difficult to deal with, too. At two years old, my toddler was easily distracted. “I want a cookie! I want a cookie!” “No, dear, you’ve already had a cookie.” “I want a cookie!” “Oh, my – look at that garbage truck!” “Garbage truck? Oh, garbage truck!” At four, our tantrums seem to revolve around the same business: treats, toys, and television. However, my daughter is much less willing to be distracted. “I want a cookie!” “No, … Continue reading

What Triggers Toddler Anger?

There is no wrath like that of an angry toddler! From kicking and screaming, to crying and biting, there is not a parent on the planet that does not dread the anger of a little one who is about to lose it. Chances are that you already know some of the anger triggers. My toddler might go into a melt down if a toy is suddenly taken away, or in today’s case, when the stroller broke and we had to cancel our trip to the park. Knowing what these triggers are can do a lot to help you understand them … Continue reading

Toddlers and Hair-Pulling

With toddlers and preschoolers, there can be all sorts of sudden physical behaviors that cause grief—biting, hitting, and slapping can go hand-in-hand with temper tantrums. Hair-pulling is another one of those physical, lashing-out behaviors that can be tough to control and stop with the preschool set. There is a difference between the curious and absent-minded hair pulling that a baby does—wrapping his fingers in someone’s hair and giving it a tug—and the purposeful gripping and yanking that an angry toddler or preschooler can do. As a parent, we might find it tough to stop that impulsive behavior and not only … Continue reading

Your Toddler and the New Baby

Many of you already may know that my children are all two years apart. They are almost exactly two years apart and so for four babies now, I’ve had a reigning two year old with a newborn (or two). Recently, there have been several family members in the forums who have asked about toddler behavior and the new baby and so I thought I would summarize some thoughts in a blog. If you want to discuss specific problems, please feel free to visit this thread to get support from other mommies. That Whole Terrible Two Thing I have written quite … Continue reading

Dear Heather … Hiring a Personal Trainer for Your Child

After a brief hiatus, our weekly Dear Heather … feature is returning to the fitness blog here at Families.com So if you have fitness questions, concerns or just want to know something, feel free to send it my way and I will do my best to get your questions answered. Dear Heather, I am very worried about my daughter. She’s 9 years old and she’s already much taller than most of the kids in her class or her age. But over the summer she started putting on weight and I know she is getting teased at school. I’m concerned about … Continue reading

Dealing With a Child’s Bargaining

One of the inevitable developmental steps for a child in the early elementary school years is what I used to call “bargaining”—my own children seemed to go from demanding and throwing fits when they wanted something in the toddler and preschool years, to begging, pleading and bargaining when they hit kindergarten and first grade. I couldn’t decide what drove me crazier—the temper tantrums or the stubborn pleas and bargaining! When I remember the onset of the “bargaining”—I remember everything from the “please, please, pleases” to the “if you get me this, I’ll clean my room for the rest of my … Continue reading