Picture Books that Adults Will Love, Too!

Reading is an important skill. Parents who want to raise an avid reader need to take the time to read lots of stories to their children. It is also a good idea to let your child see you reading. Children often imitate the behaviors they see their parent’s doing. Check out some of these children’s books that adults will love, too! Reading books with your child can be a rewarding experience. It is a nice way to spend time together and share a hobby that you both enjoy. Things can become a bit maddening, however, when a child insists upon … Continue reading

Navigating the Holidays With Your Toddler

Christmas is just around the corner, and this means lots of travel with your toddler in tow. In order to make your visits with friends and family as fun as possible for you and your toddler, keep the following tips in mind. These are things that I learned over the past couple of years with Dylan, and I am going to rely on these strategies again this year as I head out of town with Dylan and Blake for a couple of days. One very helpful tip is to keep your activities as close as possible to your toddler’s schedule. … Continue reading

Marley’s Storybook Treasury

Dig into a doggone hilarious book that’s fit for the entire family. Marley’s Storybook Treasury contains six I Can Read! stories detailing the mischievous misadventures of the playful pooch your kids may recognize from the big screen. In this literary treasure trove, author John Grogan and illustrator Richard Cowdrey fill 192 pages with laugh-out-loud tales of Marley’s life in suburbia. Young readers will have a blast getting lost in this richly illustrated action-packed book loaded with colorful pictures that come alive with each turn of the page. Marley means well, but that doesn’t make life with the crazy canine any … Continue reading

Halloween Books = Amazing Alternative to Candy

Believe it or not, 100 Grand Bars, Laffy Taffy and candy corn are not the only treats that scream, “Halloween!” If you are looking for a sugar-free/fat-free/calorie-free/peanut-free/gluten-free goodie to give kids on All Hallows’ Eve, consider Mia: Time to Trick or Treat! The adorable and affordable children’s book (it retails for less than $5) is an amazing alternative to candy and can be passed out as a Halloween party favor, a prize for a costume contest, or used to spice up your kid’s bedtime story collection. There’s nothing like a little seasonal spice to get youngsters excited about reading, and … Continue reading

When Your Child Needs an X-Ray

One of the many joys of parenting a child with special health needs is seeing them through their treatments. And yes, that is sarcasm. Watching your child go through procedures and tests is torture. The worst for me was Maggie’s last chest x-ray. She gets one each year to check her lungs for inflammation. This time, though, I was pregnant and couldn’t be in the room with her. However, I was close enough to the room to hear her screaming. My mother was with her, but it didn’t matter. Maggie wanted nothing to do with the process at all and … Continue reading

Save on Halloween Books for Kids – This Weekend Only!

Halloween is right around the corner. For many children, this news is extremely exciting! This excitement can inspire young children to talk incessantly about Halloween Does this describe your child? If so, you might want to shop at Barnes & Noble this weekend. They are having a “Buy one, get the second one for 50% off” sale on Children’s Halloween books this weekend. That should distract your child for a while! One of the great things about Halloween books for kids is that books can be enjoyed over and over again. If your child is a reader, he or she … Continue reading

10 Ways to Prepare Your Child for a Hospital Stay

Whether your child has a chronic condition or needs minor surgery, a stay in the hospital can be scary. There are different noises, strange people, other sick kids, and the food isn’t always as good as mom’s. So how do you prepare your child for her stay at the hospital, whether it’s overnight or for two weeks? Here are some ideas: 1 Talk about the hospital in the weeks or days leading up to the visit. Tell your child why it is important and necessary that she goes. 2 Visit the hospital and take a tour of the area where … Continue reading

Book Review: Made in China

Two years ago, I wrote about books for kids who were adopted from China. Since then, there has been a veritable explosion of new books on the subject. One of them, Made in China, is actually a three-way story: the text, the illustrations, and the material inside the covers (more about that later). Made in China could also be an entry in my Adoption Books with Great Art series. I usually like the books with delicate watercolors, but these illustrations are noteworthy for the medium chosen by illustrator Kristin Blackwood: linoleum cut prints and computer coloring; unusual for children’s books. … Continue reading

Building Bookshelves

Yesterday the boys and I built a bookshelf. It is only an inexpensive bookshelf from the office store, but we were very proud of how it came to together and how it looks in our basement. While my ten old twins have pounded nails before, they had never really used hammers to actually build something. They were excited to see the shelf come together. I started the nails for them, but then they got to drive them in. I think we’ll use some scrap lumber to practice starting nails. I wasn’t sure how our shelves would hold up to blows … Continue reading

Tips for Scrapbooking Summer Camp Experiences

It seems only fitting with my two teen children off at summer camp for a week long sleepover adventure, that I would take on this topic. There will probably be more to say when they return home as well as layouts to share, and then the younger kids go next month so I am sure they will do things differently. Summer camp is often a great memory of your childhood so it should definitely be scrapbooked. Here are some ideas for doing so. Send a camera with them. It doesn’t have to be a fancy expensive camera, a disposable is … Continue reading