Where Will You Spending Memorial Day?

If you are like the majority of Americans, you will be waking up in your own bed on Memorial Day… or on your relative’s couch. According to a new survey, most families won’t be traveling too far from home during the holiday weekend, and of those taking to the skies, rails or highways, less than 40 percent plan to spend the night in hotels, motels or inns. Respondents to Atmosphere Research Group’s online poll say they plan to stay with family or friends rather than forking over money to sleep at a hotel. Others say they plan to stay at … Continue reading

Are You a Hotel Slob?

What does your hotel room look like when you check-out? Is the bedding crumpled on the floor? Are wet towels thrown on chairs or do you dump them in the tub? Do you leave the place looking like a pigsty and figure you’re just helping the housekeeping staff earn their pay for the day? According to a recent poll, more than 60 percent of American hotel guests pile their used towels on the bathroom floor, leave puddles near sinks and bathtubs and throw bedding and pillows around the room. Bottom line: Most guests don’t treat hotel rooms the same way … Continue reading

Get Coupons for Allegra and Free Pollen Alerts

You know that old saying: “April showers bring May flowers”? If you have seasonal allergies, then you are aware that May flowers bring pollen. Allergy season is here. You can get coupons for Allegra, a commonly prescribed allergy medication and sign up for free pollen alerts at the same time. This is the time of year when many allergy sufferers are engaged in battle with their worse nemesis: Pollen. All those “April showers” have started to produce flowers that are blooming, and spewing their pollen into the air. You can see it floating by in chunks that are large enough … Continue reading

Overwhelmed Parents Don’t Want Your Help… Or Do They?

What would you do if you were shopping at Target and saw a stressed out mom trying to juggle three kids under the age of five: one kid’s having a cart-kicking, top-of-lungs screaming meltdown, the other kid is throwing items from the cart onto the check-out conveyor belt, but missing in a big way, and the youngest is wailing in a sling? Do you offer advice because you’re truly concerned about the mother’s sanity and her adorable children’s safety? Or do you mutter under your breath that the woman is clueless and needs to get her kids in order? Or, … Continue reading

Why You Should Vote

I was recently discussing politics with a friend who said, “I’m not even going to bother to vote. It’s like the lesser of two evils.” Feeling that Obama was inexperienced on the Iraq war and McCain represented more of the same type of politics we’ve had over the last eight years she feels like there’s not really a good option. Add to that the voting debacles over the last few years, and by her reasoning, what’s the point? Do We Little People Really Make a Difference? Call me idealistic, but I think that we little people do make a difference. … Continue reading

Is Your Home Office Making You Sick?

Home office. Corporate office. Any office. In my opinion they are all environments that can compromise our mental health (slave driver boss, mandated overtime, etc.), but what about our physical health? In a previous blog Aimee detailed research that found some laser printers emit what is considered as “dangerous” levels of ultra-fine toner particles into the air. The study went on to say that people exposed to high levels of these particles are at risk of suffering respiratory irritation, severe cardiovascular problems, even cancer. Unfortunately, even if you don’t work near one of these types of laser printers there are … Continue reading

A Chocoholic’s Dream Destination

You know you’re in a special place when your tour guide warns you not to lick the walls… That warning may be hard to heed when visiting the new Godiva Chocolate room located inside of Manhattan’s Bryant Park Hotel. The pre-Valentine’s Day creation will not be available for guests until May, but some lucky visitors got a sneak peek of the sweet suite last week. If you are watching your waistline don’t bother to tempt yourself with a stay—-this room is made for serious chocoholics who have no qualms about indulging in the tasty treat. How can you resist when … Continue reading

Fashion Tips for Holiday Parties

What are you wearing to your next holiday party? I’ve got another Christmas shindig coming up on Saturday night. It’s just an annual get together with a group of friends I used to work with. There’ll be lots of kids and lots of food, which means I don’t need to break out my black strapless sequined number and mile-high Manolos (wait, I don’t even own Manolos). Regardless of whether you are attending an office party, family get-together, neighborhood potluck or a black tie affair this holiday season, you’ve probably spent some time wondering what you’re going to wear. Different occasions … Continue reading

Winter Deals in Paradise

It’s that time of year again… a time when 30-foot swells reach Oahu’s North Shore and dozens of professional surfers hit the water to show off their moves during the “Vans Triple Crown of Surfing.” If you are planning to visit Hawaii in the next month, forget about the dozens of pro wave shredders, you need to concern yourself with the tens of thousands of other tourists who travel to the Hawaiian Islands to watch surfers take on Mother Nature. For those of you who don’t know, the “Vans Triple Crown of Surfing” is celebrating its 25th anniversary this winter … Continue reading

The Writing on the Walls

We are in the midst of a massive remodel job in what was once our breezeway (which doubled as an orange playroom) and garage (which housed mostly junk – not a car). When complete it will be one big area, housing a beautiful new playroom and a den, separated by a half wall, complete with a twelve-foot ceiling and a ton of windows letting the natural light flood the room. The nights leading up to the scheduled demolition of the old rooms we all grabbed markers, crayons and pencils and went out to have some fun in our underwear. We … Continue reading