Wedding Rings and Gender Roles, Pt. 2

Last time I examined the discussion over whether or not men should have to wear wedding rings. Just about all of the arguments either for or against skipped one relevant consideration: whether or not women should have to or even enjoy wearing them. Only one article I found briefly acknowledged the idea: the author said that neither of her parents has worn a wedding ring for decades, for a variety of reasons. That’s all we’ve got: in the wedding rings debate we have in-depth considerations of male class traditions, shifting perspectives of masculinity, and a man’s role in a marriage, … Continue reading

Wedding Rings and Gender Roles, Pt. 1

The practice of wearing wedding rings has roots in ancient Egypt. The Egyptians might have believed that circles represent eternity, fitting for a marriage vow. Wearing the rings on our left hand dates to the Roman era: Romans apparently believed that the fourth finger on our left hands had a vein that went directly to the heart. While women have worn wedding (and engagement) rings for centuries, the practice of men donning the former only dates to the 20th century. Some sources speculate that it had to do with World War II: men started wearing the rings while deployed, as … Continue reading

Unpleasant Wedding Humor

I love injecting humor into weddings. The occasion can sometimes be taken too seriously, either made especially solemn or fraught with the nerves of invested parties that want everything to be perfect. So I’m all about taking things a little more lightly; my imagined and actual wedding invitations are proof of that. What I can’t get behind, however, is a certain brand of humor I often see or hear about at weddings or in the course of wedding planning. I hesitate to call it chauvinist or sexist but that’s ultimately what it is, or at least it springs from the … Continue reading

Unexpected Difficulties with Wedding Invitations

I had a hard time choosing my wedding invitations. I suppose you could say I was a stereotypical picky bride about them, though I never got angry or chewed anyone out. I just wanted something simple, and I couldn’t find anything on the market that fit. I did have an ideal wedding invitation, and it was totally possible to make. The idea came from a close friend of mine. He said it should just be a blank white card, with the words “We’re Getting Married” alone on the front. Opening the card would reveal the simple words “You Should Come.” … Continue reading

Parting With Your Ring

When you and your ex split what did you do with your wedding ring? Did you tuck it into a dresser drawer? Did you sell it? Did you fling it out the window? For many new divorcees trying to decide what to do with their ring can be a difficult decision. At first, I didn’t want to let mine go. I loved my wedding ring. It had been become a part of me. Of course, now that I was no longer married I couldn’t really justify wearing it anymore, so for the first year I had it tucked away in … Continue reading

Need Extra Cash? Sell Your Wedding Dress!

Weddings are expensive. We can pay upwards of thousands of dollars for our wedding dresses, which we wear once (okay, maybe a few times, if we do bridal pictures and have multiple receptions) and then they hang in our closets or sit in storage. Then financial trials come along, and we wonder how to pay off the new bills. Have you ever considered selling your wedding dress? Other brides are in need of beautiful dresses, and they’d be more than happy to save some money and purchase a gently used gown. You can do this in a number of different … Continue reading

What to Wear: Wedding Season

Wedding season is about to hit; I’ve got two invitations tacked on my fridge already. One of the first questions that comes to mind is, “what am I going to wear?” I didn’t get invited to any winter weddings when I was pregnant, but I can only imagine how tricky it might have been to find a dress that I liked without emptying my wallet. It’s not just about the money, either; when you’re pregnant you have to guess what your measurements will be in a few weeks or months. What is a pregnant woman to do? First, try to … Continue reading

How to Encourage Creative Thinking in Your Preschooler

Thinking outside of the box is a useful skill for anyone to have. It goes hand in hand with creative problem solving, an ability that is highly valued by both schools and employees. Creative problem solving can lead to all sorts of successes in life, from basic survival to an abundant life. Encouraging creative thinking should start early. Even toddlers can come up with a bit of creative thinking. By the time a child is of preschool age, you should foster an environment that offers plenty of opportunity for creative thinking and problem solving. So how can you create this … Continue reading

A Wedding Ring for Your Man?

Trends come and go in marriage as they do in other aspects of life. In my parent’s generation, the men never wore wedding rings. If you look around at many elderly men you will see few wedding rings. By the time we Mick and I married there was so starting to change. Yet, even in my husband’s age group one time I looked around the guys we were with, some of whom were a few years younger than us, and Mick was he only man wearing a wedding ring. Mick is not one for wearing jewelry apart from his watch, … Continue reading

An Environmentally Friendly Wedding

Our society in many cases is trying to become more environmentally aware. Several organizations are placing an emphasis on supporting and encouraging acts that are good for the environment. One very common phrase or logo that can be heard or seen in magazines is “go green”. I have both heard this phrase on the radio and seen it in print. In most cases I think about not polluting, recycling, and planting trees. I had never thought about how a wedding may tie in with the logo until I came across a recent article stating that there were actually environmentally conscious … Continue reading