Solids Not Liquids, Please!

My little guy is driving me crazy when it comes to his eating habits lately. It seems that he has a mind of his own these days, and foods he used to devour he is getting sick of, or bored with, and just doesn’t want anymore of it. With our food allergy issues as it is, it is hard to just give him whatever he wants without going through a trial process. We usually wait to introduce one food at a time, and then give it a week to see if he tolerates it. So, we don’t have the luxury … Continue reading

Introducing Solids Part V

It became clear that my daughter has a palate for flavor and spice after she giddily ate the well seasoned creamy beef broth of the mushroom soup. I am not really surprise after all I season her egg yolk every morning! I am also pleased that she is so excited and happy to try new and very different foods (even though I never anticipated that she would try so many so soon). Since I do not always have something savory for her to taste, I wanted her to have another go to food like the egg yolks she has for … Continue reading

Introducing Solids Part II

Since I tend towards the unconventional and more researched based health and diet guidelines, I had no interest in giving my daughter (or son for that matter) the standard rice cereal which is overly refined and enriched. Instead, I wanted her first tastes to be as pure and clean as possible, hence the organic produce. Once my daughter sank her new bottom teeth into a soft sweet organic nectarine, her demand for solids only increased. I slowly began to introduce new foods to her diet in the form of little tastes. She was very excited to taste most of the … Continue reading

Introducing Solids Part I

I had a plan. I was going to try to wait until my daughter was closer to a year to introduce solids into her diet. I felt like I forced my son into eating solids before he was ready. Even though he ate most of the baby foods that I made for him, he never really showed an interest. When he did start to really want foods, he only wanted foods that had a smooth texture, like the purees I made him. Regardless of when my daughter started eating solids, I had decided that I am not going to puree … Continue reading

When To Start Solids-Part II

A couple of days ago, I discussed a little about starting solids with my babies. You can find that article here. When you have issues with food allergies like my children have had, it is important to stick with introducing one food at a time. This will help you determine if there are any issues with the foods you are introducing. Otherwise, with infant led feeding, the idea is that you go slow, and let your child eat what you are eating so that they slowly learn what real food is all about. In our family, we have decided to … Continue reading

You Are Now Entering the World of Solids

We decided to start giving our daughter some “real” food last month. We previously had decided to wait until she was about a year old, but our curiosity got the best of us. Shortly after she passed the 8 month mark, we began the journey into the world of solids foods. We bypassed the rice cereal and canned baby foods and went straight to making our own baby food. We had read online and heard from trusted acquaintances that avocados are the perfect food, for both babies and adults, so we decided avocados would be the first food hitting her … Continue reading

Should I Give My Baby Solids?

Our daughter is approaching the age when solid foods can be introduced. She’s 5 1/2 months old and is exclusively breastfed. I’m going back and forth on when we’re going to start giving her solids. She’s gaining weight fine on breast milk alone (hello, I think weighing 17 pounds at 4 1/2 months probably means she’s getting enough!), and I hesitate to mess with something that is going so well. I know there are people who believe that breast milk alone isn’t enough for a baby once they reach six months of age, but I’ve witnessed cases where babies consumed … Continue reading

Myth: Your Baby Will Sleep Longer If You Feed Her Solids

If your baby has been having a hard time sleeping through the night, you’ve probably had more than one well-meaning person tell you to add cereal to your baby’s bottle or start solids. “Think about it, it’s hard to sleep if you’re hungry,” they’ll say. There are several problems with this myth however. First of all, there is no evidence that solids increase a baby’s total sleep. They may fall asleep a little quicker if they are stuffed, but babies wake up for many reasons which have more to do with their biological clocks than their tummies. The circadian rhythms … Continue reading

Help! What Do I Feed My Baby? -The What ,When, and How Much of Solids

Solids. This can be a scary word for a first-time parent. When do you start them? How much do you feed? What should you give your baby first? These questions plague new parents, who want desperately to make sure their precious baby is eating the right foods and enough of them. Your baby’s doctor or pediatrician will likely provide you with information regarding feeding your baby solids. Typically, a baby begins eating solid foods between four and six months of age. Prior to this time, breast milk or formulas is the sole source of nutrition for babies. A juice cup … Continue reading

U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Babies and Toddlers

The U.S Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee has issued new dietary guidelines for Americans, specific to a person’s age. Part of the report advises parents what to feed their babies and toddlers. The Committee found that breastfeeding may reduce the risk of overweight or obesity, type 1 diabetes, and asthma, as compared to never being breastfed. The study found evidence that suggests that a longer duration of breastfeeding is associated with a lower risk of type 1 diabetes and asthma, but it was unclear what the optimal duration of breastfeeding is. The report also mentions complementary foods and beverages (CFB). These … Continue reading