Quick Facts About Homeschooling

Have you ever wondered about the statistics that relate to homeschooling? How many kids are homeschooled? How well do kids that were homeschooled do in comparison to kids who attended public school? You may be surprised by what these quick facts about homeschooling show! For many families, the decision to homeschool their children is one that they feel is a calling. These parents are not going to change their mind no matter what. Other families choose to homeschool because they are dissatisfied with their local public school (and cannot afford to send their kids to private school). There are also … Continue reading

Great Reasons To Homeschool Your Child

Why would anyone want to homeschool their child? There are plenty of great reasons to make that decision. If you are “on the fence” about homeschooling, consider some of these great reasons to homeschool your child. Go at your own pace. Your child will never have to face the pressure of struggling to keep up with the rest of his classmates. The teacher won’t move ahead before he is ready for the next skill. He also won’t have to cope with the boredom of waiting for his classmates to catch up to where he is before he can be presented … Continue reading

Keep Your Toddler’s Smile Bright

While there is a good chance that your toddler has been visiting her pediatrician regularly since the time that she was born, it is possible that she has not yet had her first visit to the dentist. There is no iron clad rule about when a toddler’s first visit to the dentist has to happen because each child’s teeth come in on their own unique schedule. A generally accepted timetable for a child’s first trip to the dentist is within six months of getting her first tooth, or by one year of age at the latest. There are many reasons … Continue reading

Why would parents torture their kid with homeschooling?

That was a question asked online by a young man who could not understand the choice to homeschool.  He went on to say that parents who homeschool are overprotective and selfish.  While he understood that high school was “viscous” it was no reason to keep your child at home.  Two young people responded supporting his statements and one was homeschooled for a short time.  Another response was this: I agree with you, being home-schooled will make kids become more dependent and less social. School better prepares kids for the real world, and shows the bright and bad sides of life. … Continue reading

Combining Working at Home With Homeschooling

Some parents choose to work from home so that they can homeschool their children. I did not initially know whether we would be homeschooling when I decided to open my home based businesses after the birth of our first son. It was always a possibility, and now that it is time for him to go to preschool, I have decided that that is what we will do, at least as far as preschool is concerned. Preschool in my local area is fairly expensive, and there are not a lot of choices. Since I am at home with our baby anyways, and … Continue reading

Genealogy And Homeschooling

With the start of the new school year, curriculum may be on the minds of many homeschooling families. If genealogy is something that you would like to incorporate into your children’s homeschooling there are many ways that you can do it. Genealogy lends itself well to many different study areas including creative pursuits like scrapbooking, English language (writing family history), science, and geography as well as history. Depending upon the ages and interests of your children, you can introduce them to genealogy in any number of ways. For example, you could create a pedigree chart, have each child choose a … Continue reading

Top 10 Ways to Get Your Kids Excited About Reading: Curious Cat

Do you want to get your kids excited about reading? If so, get ready for the countdown: ten days of ideas that will get you and yours into reading! Children are curious. These days, curiousity is easily satisfied. By Googling things, we can learn just about anything in mere seconds. Of course, that’s not to say that it isn’t necessary to hone your research skills. In fact, in the age of the internet, it’s more important than ever to have excellent research skills, so that you can sift through the vast amounts of information that are out there in the … Continue reading

Saying No Can Bring More Joy Into Your Life

I struggle with saying no to people, including myself. Once I became a single mother I was determined to do the best job I could so that my child would not suffer from being raised in a single parent household. Part of that determination was feeling like I had to be everything to everyone. I never said no when someone asked for help. I never said no when Hailey wanted me to stop what I was doing and entertain her. I never said no when I would tell myself to just keep going, people live perfectly well on five hours … Continue reading

Top 10 Ways to Get Your Kids Excited About Reading: Get Vocal

Do you want to get your kids excited about reading? If so, get ready for the countdown: ten days of ideas that will get you and yours into reading! Today’s tip? Get vocal about reading. Blah, blah, blah. There’s a lot of talking that goes on in a house, and sometimes we tune it out. Turn some of this talking into gripping reading, and you’ll increase your children’s ability to listen carefully. The ability to create images in your head is key to reading success. Craft a cumulative story. Get one family member to start out telling a story, then … Continue reading

Will Your Homeschooled Kids Fail to Have a Great Career?

Ah, TED Talks. What would we do without them, really? Those inspiring folks, getting up there and ranting to us about everything under the sun. This morning, I’m enjoying Larry Smith’s “Why You Will Fail To Have A Great Career.” As someone who has a somewhat unorthodox career, I’ve thought a fair bit about pursuing your passions. I am someone who has no shortage of passions. I love writing. I love the outdoors. I love working for social change. I love music. Unfortunately, these passions generally fall on the list of undesirable careers, those careers with low prestige, low earning … Continue reading