Funding Your Education as a Single Parent

Many single parents would do anything to be able to go back to school and finish their education. But it may not seem feasible. College is expensive and unfortunately tuition prices seem to constantly be on the rise, making it more and more of a challenge for people to finance their education, let alone single parents. If you are a single parent, chances are money is tight. Even with child support payments, it never seems to cover everything. Kids are expensive; whatever money you do have goes to meeting their everyday needs. If you are like most of us, there … Continue reading

How School Dress Codes Can Harm Your Daughter’s Education

Does the school your children attend have a dress code? Many of them do. Some schools opt for a specific, very limited, dress code. Others are a little less stringent. While a dress code might annoy your son, school dress codes can harm your daughter’s education. Here are some things for parents to watch out for. Ideally, a school dress code is designed to equalize students. Everyone has to wear the same type of uniform, with limited variations. (Typical variations include skirts for girls and pants for boys). Schools might choose to only allow clothing of specific colors. The goal … Continue reading

Does Your Child Qualify For Special Education

When you think of a child in special needs you may think of a child with a specific disability. Would you be surprised to know that there are 13 separate categories of disabilities that qualify for special education? Among the 13 categories there are some that everyone will think of such as a person with a disability such as autism, mental retardation, blindness or visual impairment, deafness, as well as children with physical disabilities. Some of the disabilities that you do not think of may include learning disabilities such as dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and even … Continue reading

Professional Education From The Comfort of Your Home

Today, I had the good fortune of being able to attend a teleseminar. While this may not seem like a noteworthy event, it was for me because it enabled me to fulfill one of my continuing education requirements that are a part of keeping my law license active. The fact that I can earn at least some of the required credits through participation in “live” events like teleseminars and webinars where participants can ask questions during and after the presentation is certainly a good thing for a home-based professional like me. I have participated in in-person conferences and webinars as … Continue reading

Worried about Gaps in Your Child’s Education?

My daughter often shows dissatisfaction with any history textbook she comes across. Over the years we have used several different books but her complaints were always the same. She insisted the text was not detailed enough. While I assigned historical fiction, biographies and documentaries, she still showed dissatisfaction with all the material she was surely missing. I explained that there was no possible way to cover all of history into one book that covers one year of learning. I suggested she find a period of history she was especially interested in to study indepthly. She then looked at me quizzically … Continue reading

Getting Your Special Needs Child the Best Education

It is time to go back to school. You want your child to have the best year yet and to learn and grow. Perhaps your child needs more than pens and paper to get through the year. You’ve heard of plans to help children with special needs succeed in school but perhaps you thought they were only for kids with learning disabilities. The truth is, if your child has a chronic condition that can affect their performance and attendance at school, he or she can qualify for one of the two plans. First there are individualized education plans (IEPs), legal … Continue reading

The Most Vital thing You Can Do for Your Child’s Education

Today as promised, here is the most vital information about your child’s education and something any parent can do. The most important thing you can do for your child’s education is read to them, read to them from the time they are babies. Some experts believe even before they are born- while they are still in the womb. While we never went that far, we did read to our children from the time they were born. We read all sorts of books, starting with short, simple ones. As they got older we looked for those with good stories and use … Continue reading

How Far Would You Go To Pay For Your Kid’s Education?

Some parents would consider taking out a second mortgage on their homes or picking up a part-time job to help fund their child’s education, but a mom in Washington State has turned to another means to help raise cash for her son’s schooling—-begging. As in standing near a busy off-ramp near her Bellevue home and panhandling for cash. “Tuition help needed! Donate a few dollars!” Shelle Curley yells at drivers in an effort to raise nearly $47,000 so her son can attend one of the most prestigious dance schools in the country. According to reports, Curley’s 17-year-old son D.J. scored … Continue reading

Driver’s Education—Who Was Your Teacher?

I’ll never forget my driver’s ed teacher. My grandma had the patience of a saint. Seriously. My then 72-year-old grandmother is the person I credit with teaching me how to drive a car. Well, her and Mr. Malingus, my high school driver’s ed teacher. He’s the one my parents paid to teach me how to handle our family’s Toyota on the road, but it was my beloved grandma who really helped me pass my road test. In Hawaii (where I was born and raised), you are allowed to obtain a driver’s license at age 15. (Less than a year after … Continue reading

Education: Making Choices for Your Family

Sometimes the choices we have to make in life are not always good ones, but essential. Sometimes there is no other way. Does going back to school fit into your plans? Probably not. You are a single parent. You do not have time for school, but how much money do you bring into the household? Do you have enough earning potential to take care of your family? I am sure like most of us, it is lacking. Sure, you get by, but just by the skin of your teeth. Maybe you want to go back to school just for you … Continue reading